Sunday, February 22, 2009

Ryan's Cub Scout Graduation & a couple other things

Last night was Ryan's last Blue & Gold dinner. He was able to graduate from Cub Scouts to Boy Scouts. It was a very long, but enjoyable dinner and ceremony. He also got his arrow of light which he is holding in the picture above. Here are some of the highlights.
First they graduated all the boys from Cub Scouts. Here he is with his official certificate. Then they had some Indian dancers come up and dance and explain what the 7 points of the Arrow of Light meants. For those of you not familiar the Arrow of Light is the highest award a Cub Scout can earn. The Indians were very serious and even scared the boys a bit because the head Indian said they weren't worthy. But the other Indians talked him into it. All part of the show. Ryan is on the far right in this picture.

Here is Ryan getting ready to cross the bridge to Boy Scouts. I had to cross behind him so this is the only picture I got. We had a professional photographer there so we should have much better pictures in a few days.Here is Ryan getting all his Boy Scout regalia. I am really proud of Ryan. He had to make a choice of what Scout Troop to join. He took it really serious and visited the different troops and made his decision. All the other boys just joined the largest group in The Colony, but Ryan went on his own and joined a small group that he thought he would enjoy and be able to grow in.
Here he is in his new Scout Uniform. He is really proud to be moving on to Boy Scouts. He even says he wants to earn his Eagle. I asked to get that in writing :-)

Here is his new neckerchief. It's pretty cool that it has the Troop # on it. The other boys just got a generic one.After the bridging the Indian dancers did an Eagle dance and were off.

Here are all the boys and their leaders.
Here is Ryan with his new Scout Troop. I was so impressed that they sent all these people to sit through 4 hours of Blue & Gold, just for Ryan. They were so nice and have really already accepted Ryan to be a part of them.
Here they are passing time at the banquet playing table football with Ryan.

This was the last Cub Scout meeting last Thursday. The boys were having a great time.
I am so proud of Ryan for sticking this out. He has not always enjoyed Cub Scouts, but he finished and I think he will appreciate that someday. I hope he enjoys Boy Scouting more and I hope he truly does try to get his Eagle.

We did do a couple other things this week. Yesterday, one of the girls in Melanie's Kindergarten class wanted her hair done by me for a formal Daddy Daughter dance she was going to attend. So she came over and I did her hair. Here is Melanie's hair first because of course she had to have beautiful hair too.
Here is her little friend's hair. Unfortunately the picture is a little blurry, but it really turned out cute.
And lastly we had Valentines last weekend. Here are the Valentines that we made for Ryan & Melanie's class. They were little ipods and their friends loved them.

1 comment:

Debbie said...

Hi Ryan,

I am so impressed with you. So glad you did well in cub scouts and moved to Boy Scouts. I know you will do more and eventually get your Eagle.

your loving grandma Porter.