Friday, July 3, 2009

Road Trip - Summer 2009 July 2 & 3

We have just started on our annual summer road trip. I am going to update our progress on the blog every day or so. It's more for our family to have than for anyone else...so you may find it a little boring. But we love having a trip log and it will be easier to keep up everyday rather than when we get home.

So we got off to a little bit of a rough start. We had to go back home twice since I forgot to pack Mark any clothes and then forgot out Disney World tickets. Both items were a little to vital to go without. Here is a picture of the kids as we start on our journey.

Our plan is to go to Florida and drop Jill off in Tampa to go to a church camp for a week while we bum around FL. After that we are going to play it by ear. We may go as far as Canada, but don't know yet.

After we finally got going it was a pretty quiet drive. I managed to catch up on sleep that I had missed while trying to get ready for this trip. We stopped at the Blue Dog for dinner in Lafayette, LA. It's a Cajun restaurant with all these great from George...of course I can't remember the last name. The food was amazing. Mellie got the nickname of roll vampire. She would make a small hole in the rolls and eat out the inside. You would go to grab a roll and the inside would have been eaten out. She ate 6 or 7 rolls. I guess it's easy when you only eat the inside.

Jill loved her drawing enough to take pictures of it. That was the best part of the restaurant for the kids. Drawing all over the table.

After stuffing ourselves we drove to Houma where we stayed the night. We went and got our favorite pie that we always get in Houma...I can't spell it though...it's something french. Then I let the kids swim.

We slept in and ate breakfast atw the hotel. Then we went around Houma for a bit. Mark lived here about 20 years ago and so he enjoyed seeing the town and showing us around. After that we headed over to New Orleans. We just drove around, but saw some beautiful old homes with huge trees. There were tons of beads hanging from the wires and trees. Then we went down to the French Quarter. It was really crowded. I had no desire to get out and walk around since we have the kids with us.

Then we were off to drive some more. Right before we entered Mississippi we saw a car fly off the side of the road into the trees. We couldn't stop but called 911. That was a little exciting. Then we drove along the Mississippi gulf coast. The beach went on forever and it was really white and really pretty. This is just a quick pic as we were driving past. Mellie's comment as we were driving was, "If we can find a hotel on the beach that isn't too crappy can we stay there please?" She is all about the hotels on this trip. That is her favorite part.

Next was a quick bathroom stop at the Hard Rock Casino in Biloxi, MS.
That evening we stopped in Pensacola FL, and went to a place called Fun City. They had rides and go carts and fireworks. Mellie had a lot of fun riding all the little rides. The first time she rode this baby roller coaster she was terrified. But then about an hour later she asked to ride it again and she loved it. Ryan & Jill rode the go carts as much as they wanted and loved that. I rode the slick track go carts. I had never ridden go carts before and I was horrible at it, crashing into the sides of the track...other cars speeding past me...but it was so much fun.
Mellie's favorite ride was of course as always the carousel. She could have ridden it 100 times I think.
Then we watched their fireworks show which was better than expected. We were so close to where they were shooting them off you feel the ash hit your face. Mellie was terrified, but we had a wonderful evening together. Afterwards we were off to our hotel on the beach.

No comments: