Friday, July 3, 2009

Catching Up

I have gotten way behind on the blog so I am going to do a long catch up post. Some stuff is out of order....but I'm typing this in the car and am still not very good at the blog thing so it will have to do!!

These pictures are of the Kindergarten end of year splash party. Mellie had a lot of fun although it was a little cold that day. She was eyeing the kids covering themselves in shaving cream...but she never got the nerve to go do it.


This is Jill at her last orchestra concert. It was really good. She has decided to stop playing the violin for a while and is going to do yearbook this year.

Ryan's end of year party was at the lake. I didn't take any pictures, but they got to play baseball, eat pizza, play with waterguns etc. I got to hold my friend's grandbaby. I am finally loving holding babies again. It took til Mellie was almost 6 years old ;-) But I'm loving holding every baby I can get my hands on. Definitely don't want any more babies though...I'm just looking forward to being a grandma now. Although that is a ways away. At least it better be...Jill is only 15.
Mellie really got into father's day this year. She planned this big party for Mark. Unfortunately it didn't work out as planned, but she made him a cake, and a card and planned games. Her favorite part was making the cake.

One really hot sunny day it started raining out of nowhere. Mellie and I ran out to go play in the warm soft rain. We had so much fun. We walked all the way round the block in our bare feet splashing in all the puddles. We were very wet and happy!!





For the last month of school Mellie was student of the month for her classroom. She was so excited to get a medal. She wore it everywhere for several days. I loved seeing how excited she was for this small award. Ryan had an award ceremony also for graduating from 5th grade. I can't find any pictures, but I was very proud of him. He was just so excited to be done with school. 5th grade was not a good year for him.



Mellie decided one day that she wanted to learn to sew. We started with a small pillow for her stuffed animals, but she did so good we decided to attempt a blanket. I had never made one like this, but together we did a great job. She did all the sewing machine parts. She is a natural at it. Her next project will be a purse.

Right after school got out it was time to go to girls camp. I took Jill and 13 other teenage girls to camp for the week. Last year is was cushy in airconditioned houses and such. This year...was very different. We were in cabins, with really scary beds, no air conditioning anywhere...but we had a great time. It was hot and sticky and dirty, but spiritual and a lot of fun.

I love this picture of Jill with her hair back and no makeup. I think she looks so pretty.
This was our cabin. There was a lot of names written on the wall and so w 1e could tell these cabins had been there since at least 1973. I think the mattresses on the beds were the original ones as well.
This is me, Jill and one of the girls we took with us. We are in all our sticky dirty glory!!
Here Jill is ready to go on her overnight hike. She is on the left. They went and set up their tents and were getting dinner ready when a huge storm was on it's way. They had to bring the girls back to camp which Jill was very happy about. She did not want to spend the night in a tent with all the spiders. The storm was really bad at home I guess...a tornado and such...but at camp it was just really hard rain and wind. We all gathered together in two big cabins and the girls sang all sorts of songs. We had to run through the worst of the storm to get to the main cabin so we were all wet and cold...which felt good after being so hot.

On the last day of camp it is traditionally the big mud fight. This camp didn't want us to do that so we had a shaving cream fight. So much better than mud. That is me on the right. Then we all jumped into the lake to wash off. I learned that shaving cream does not do good things for your hair. It took a couple weeks to get it back to being soft again.
Mellie took her very first swimming lessons this year. My friend and I got a private teacher for her daughter and Mellie and did it in her pool. It was a great way to do lessons for Mellie since she was so nervous. She still can't swim...but she has improved greatly. She even got her hair wet...which is huge for her. Her confidence improved greatly as well. She will probably learn to swim on her own soon.
This is Mellie, her teacher and Stephanie her friend whose pool we used.
This is Ryan watching Mellie's final day of swim lessons wearing his new Fedora hat. He got that for his birthday...which was that day. I will have to do a separate post for his bday since I don't think I have downloaded those pictures yet.

Other events that happened that we don't have pictures for were...Ryan went to a week of scout camp. That was the longest any kid has been away from home without parents and he did great. Barely missed us. He got his swimming merit badge and I think his basket weaving merit badge. It was really hot, but he didn't seem to mind.

Ryan had a swim meet and once again improved some of his times greatly. He dropped 7 seconds off his 100 free without goggles since they broke right before the race.

And on a sad note...we lost Lily a couple weeks ago. We found her dead in her cage one morning. It was very sad. She was such a sweet rat. Mellie's comment was...can we get a new rat mommy? She wasn't too heartbroken...although she really liked Lily. She wants her own rat.

Summer has been busy, but we have managed to spend a lot of time at the pool. Now we are on vacation. It will be over before we know it...but I'm sure enjoying it. Summer is my favorite time of year. I love having the kids home and I love sleeping in!!

No comments: